Adapted from Jam Hands Chocolate Orange Bread
I posted about the amazing Chocolate Orange Bread before, but with the fall, I was craving cinnamon and other warm flavors. So, I decided to adapt that recipe to make a crusty bread with cinnamon and raisins. This makes AMAZING toast with butter, or a super decadent French Toast. This makes a very wet dough, that puffs up, gives a beautiful crumb, and crusty exterior. The trick really is the preheated cast iron dutch oven. If you have a Le Creuset dutch oven, it would work wonderfully here. I use a plain Lodge cast iron dutch oven lined with parchment paper. The trapped heat and moisture is what gives the crispy crust. This bread comes together very quickly and needs little hands on time, but you do need to let it rise at room temperature for 12-18 hours.
Tips and Suggestions:
Ideally, you should make the dough the day before. You can also fully bake this bread and freeze it for when you are ready for it.
If you have a stand mixer, this dough comes together very quickly. Just mix all dry ingredients together, add the wet ingredients, and then add the raisins. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature for 12-18 hours. When fully risen, shape into a smooth ball on a floured surface.
Preheat oven at 450 degrees F and then preheat empty dutch oven for 30 minutes. Line the dutch oven with parchment paper to keep it from sticking. Bake for 30 minutes with lid on, remove lid and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
Allow to cool before slicing.
Artisan No-Knead Cinnamon Raisin BreadDifficulty: Easy
3 cups All Purpose Flour
1 3/4 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Yeast
1 TSBP Sugar
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 1/2 cup Cool Water
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 cup Raisins
- In large bowl, or bowl of a mixer, mix dry ingredients together (flour, salt, yeast, sugar). Add wet ingredients (water, extract) and mix well. Then mix in raisins. Dough will be wet and sticky.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and allow to double in size at room temperature (12-18 hours).
- Heat oven for 450 Degrees F. When preheated, place dutch oven (or other large covered pan that can be placed in oven) in and preheat pan for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, shape dough on floured board into one or two loaves depending on preference.
- Place parchment paper and shaped loaf into preheated pan and cover with lid. Bake for 30 minutes (if doing a full loaf, 25 minutes if doing to small loaves).
- Remove lid from pot and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool 5 minutes and then remove from pan. Allow to cool completely before slicing.
- If you would like to freeze, allow to fully cool, wrap in aluminum foil, plastic wrap, or freezer bag and place in freezer. When ready to bake, allow to thaw for 15-20 minutes and bake at 450 degrees F for 15 minutes.