Adapted from Holiday and Celebration Bread in Five Minutes a Day
Tips and Suggestions:
This is a relatively quick and easy appetizer that really wows. If you don’t want to make your own pizza dough, you can buy fresh dough from Trader Joe’s or from your local pizzeria. You can totally play with the ingredients to your tastes. I think the next time I make this, I’ll use goat cheese instead of feta for a creamier texture. You could also make this with Italian flavors like mozzarella, sausage, and peppers and dip in marinara sauce.
Saute the spinach in olive oil and garlic.
When it is fully wilted, squeeze through a sieve or into paper towels to get as much moisture as possible.
Roll out the pizza dough to a 9×12 inch rectangle and move to a parchment lined cookie sheet. Spread the feta, olives, sundried tomatoes, pine nuts, and spinach down the middle of the dough. Using pizza cutter, slice once inch pieces on each side. Roll strips and then fold over each other.
Let it rest a room temperature for one hour. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
Bake at 350 for 35 to 45 minutes and allow to cool. Slice and serve.
Greek Style Appetizer BreadCourse: AppetizersCuisine: GreekDifficulty: Easy
1 LB Pizza Dough, either homemade, or bought
1 lb fresh Spinach
1/2 clove of garlic
1 TBSP Olive Oil
1/2 cup Kalamata Olives
1/4 Sundried Tomatoes
3/4 cup Feta Cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup Pine Nuts, optional
Egg wash (one egg yolk and 1 TBSP water, stirred with a fork)
2 TSBP Black Sesame Seeds, optional
- If refrigerated, take pizza dough out and let it rest at room temperature for 30 minutes. While you wait, prepare the spinach.
- Heat olive oil in large pan and add spinach and garlic. Saute until the spinach has fully wilted. Place in a colander or in paper towels and try to remove as much moisture as possible from spinach.
- Roll out dough onto floured board, being careful not to add too much flour, but also to prevent sticking. Roll out into 9×12 inch rectangle and place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Down a two inch channel in the middle of your dough, sprinkle the feta, spinach, olives, pine nuts, and tomatoes.
- Cut 1/2 inch strips on each side and braid the dough strips as shown in picture.
- Let rest on counter for one hour. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds (if desired).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes and allow to cool.
- Feel free to play with the filling ingredients!