Adapted from Recipe Tin Eats Vietnamese Noodle Bowls with Lemongrass Chicken
This is such a great summer meal. All of the ingredients can be cold and when I get sick of salads, this is a wonderful option. It is full of flavor, lots of crisp vegetables, and marinated chicken. You could pack these for a picnic and everyone would be jealous! I’m lucky to live in a town with lots of Vietnamese restaurants, and this is as close as I can get to my favorite noodle bowl at home. This is also a great meal for those doing 21 Day Fix. It is so light and full of flavor, you will not even think about how you are eating healthy. I’ve included container counts at the end of the recipe for #21dayfix.
Notes and Suggestions:
You could substitute tofu or sliced beef for the chicken. You can also grill the chicken, which is a great option in the summer. You can use plain cucumbers, or if you just made Banh Mi‘s you can use my Asian Cucumber Salad. This adds a ton of flavor. You can substitute bean sprouts in, but I had cabbage in my refrigerator, so I used that. Don’t be intimidated by Thai fish sauce. It is more salty than fishy when used in these amounts. I’m not a big fan of fish, and I think it adds a huge amount of flavor and adds to the authenticity of the dish. If you are doing 21 Day Fix or watching your carbs, you may omit the brown sugar from the marinade and substitute honey for the brown sugar in the Nuoc Cham sauce.
Vietnamese Noodle Bowl with Lemongrass ChickenCourse: DinnerDifficulty: Easy
20 oz Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Marinade for chicken:
2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
2 TBSP Lime Juice
2 TBSP Thai Fish Sauce
1 TBSP Soy Sauce
2 TBSP Brown Sugar, firmly packed
2 TBSP Vegetable Oil
1 Stalk Lemongrass (smushed and chopped)
- For Nuoc Cham Sauce:
2 TBSP Fish Sauce
4 TBSP Rice Vinegar
3 TBSP Lime Juice
1 TBSP Brown Sugar (or substitute honey)
1/4 cup water
2 cloves Garlic (finely minced)
1 Red Chili, finely chopped
- For Noodle Bowls:
1/2 package of Rice Noodle Vermicelli
1 cup Carrots, sliced into matchsticks
1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
1 cup Purple Cabbage
1 cup Cabbage
1/2 Handful of cilantro
Lime wedges for garnish
- Mix together ingredients for the marinade and allow chicken to marinade for at least an hour, ideally overnight.
- Remove chicken from marinade and grill, broil, or sauce until fully cooked and no longer pink in middle. Allow to rest 15-20 minutes before slicing. You may prepare chicken ahead of time and refrigerate until ready to assemble bowls.
- Mix all ingredients together for Nuoc Cham sauce. Allow to marry in refrigerator until ready to assemble noodle bowls.
- Follow package directions on Rice Vermicelli Noodles. Rinse with cold water to stop cooking process.
- To assemble bowls: place 1/2-3/4 cup of noodles in bowl. Place 1/4 cup each of veggies (cucumber, cabbages, carrots, etc.). Place 3/4-1 cup of sliced chicken in bowl. Drizzle 4-5 TBSP of Nuoc Cham on top of each bowl. Garnish with lime wedges and cilantro.
- See below for 21 Day Fix container counts and recipe suggestions.
For 21 Day Fix Containers:
As you assemble the bowls, make sure to measure, 1/2 cup of rice noodles (1 Yellow), 3/4 cup of chicken (1 Red), 1/4 cup of each veggie (1 Green). Omit the sugar or substitute honey in the Nuoc Cham. Also omit sugar from the marinade for the chicken. Since this is a very low-calorie dressing, you may drizzle 4-5 TBSP and call it (1 Orange).